Melitastitches4fun's Blog


ANG Seminar 2016, New Orleans
August 26, 2016, 9:41 pm
Filed under: ANG Seminar 2016

I enjoyed running into Jessica T, whom I had met in Myrtle Beach last year, in the Philly airport on our way to New Orleans! We were on one airplane for 2-3 hours without leaving the terminal. Got off that one for an hour just to sit inside another for an hour before leaving Philly. Once we arrived, we waited over an hour for our luggage.  10 hours! What an ordeal but it was great spending time with Jessica.

And, I also got a lot of stitching done on a small piece for Bill. I’ll have it done before I get home thanks to American Airlines. That will be the subject of another blog!

Arriving so late, I missed setup for Distance Learning Programs but we didn’t have pegs anway! And, I missed check in. But, I did that this morning.  So, it all worked out.

I bought the plastic project bags & the rest came from ANG when I checked in.

Seminar 2016

And, the Teaching Dynamics class with Carlene Harwick was led by a very capable,  pleasant, substitute teacher, Valerie McAleenan. I learned some good pointers for leading projects with my chapter. Good way to start seminar! Looking forward to tomorrow’s class with Lois Keschner for Provence Pottery Shop.



ANG Stitch of the Month
August 15, 2016, 5:51 pm
Filed under: ANG 2016 Stitch of the Month, ANG Main Line Stitchers Chapter

August’s portion of Susan Hoekstra’s Feuilles d’ananas  (Pineapple Leaves) are the Brighton and Thread Couched with Crosses. It’s always interesting to see composite stitches come together.

SOTM, August



Welcome Baby Norah
August 7, 2016, 5:41 pm
Filed under: Welcome Baby Norah

Our beautiful grandniece, Norah, was born back in April. So, I designed this sampler piece to commemorate her birth. She’s Irish & so, her name is spelled out in green with touches of the colors of the rainbow & a pot of gold in the letter H. We wish her good health, happiness, & good fortune throughout her life.

FB_IMG_1470609088156

The letters came from either the Leisure Arts Leaflet 2285 called 120 Alphabets or Leisure Arts Leaflet 3071 called Alphabets Galore 136 Alphabets.

From top to bottom:

  • Blocks (3 rows from A-Z): Diagram 88 on pg 32 (136 Alphabets)
  • Welcome baby with balloons: Diagram 113 on pgs 39-40 (136 Alphabets)
  • Norah (modified to fit my width): Diagram 73 on pg 26 (120 Alphabets)
  • Diaper pins (without the letters): Diagram 49 on pg 14 (120 Alphabets)
  • April: Diagram 19 on pg 7 (136 Alphabets)
  • lower case pm, lbs, and oz: Diagram 53 on pg 15 (120 Alphabets)

There are mainly DMC flosses used: yellow 444, green 701 and 700 a little darker for Norah, blue 825, violet 552, red 666, red-violet 915 because red 666 looked terrible right next to violet 552, orange 970, and black 310 for the balloon strings. I also used Kreinik #12 braid 010HL for the pot, #8 braid 002J for the gold, and #12 braid 001 for the metal portion of the diaper pins (thanks to Linda – I had #16 which was too thick while my #8, #4, and balger were too thin).

I am amazed that I used graph paper, pencil, & plenty of erasing to lay this out but 100 years ago young girls stitched samplers without such aids!!

20160806_173118-1



ANG Keystone Garden Chapter Mystery Project, July
July 27, 2016, 3:50 pm
Filed under: ANG Keystone Garden Chapter, Mystery Project 2016

July was clean up month with backstitches to highlight the diamonds. I love the colors.

Mystery July

Enter a caption



Beaded Needle Case, Completed
July 24, 2016, 6:04 pm
Filed under: ANG Keystone Garden Chapter, Beaded Needle Case

It’s got issues but it’s done! A bibliography suggests other beaded needle case patterns by Jennie Might and Amy Loh-Kuyser. But, you won’t see me trying this again.

It took several tries to get the cap started. By the time I was getting the hang of it, I figured out that I had forgotten to follow the pattern. I used too many blue beads and finished with a row of white ones.

Bead top

Then, I took 2 tries to get the dozen rows to be close enough. Yes, I just wanted to be done with it. So, here’s the area that looks the worst (the cap is pointed towards the bottom right).

Mushy beads

But, from another angle,  it looks better. And, I am happy that I tried it. I certainly will appreciate and understand the efforts of others when I see theirs.

Bead cap, finished

Enter a caption



Beaded Needle Case
July 24, 2016, 7:40 am
Filed under: Beaded Needle Case

My ANG Keystone Garden Chapter offered a “beginner” tubular/circular peyote project, a beaded needle case.

I am having some learning curve! I waited too long after the first meeting to continue on with the rows. So, I got a second lesson at our next meeting.  Then, at the next meeting, got a third lesson on just the base. I didn’t get off to a good start (left on the picture below) but put it away and decided that I must have pulled everything too tight to start. So, I gave it another try as I can not give up on this! And, am so happy that it worked (right on the picture below).

Bead base

And, it’s attached. That part was easy and rewarding to see that part finished. Today, I tackle the cap!

Base attached



ANG Stitch of the Month

July’s portion of Susan Hoekstra’s Feuilles d’ananas  (Pineapple Leaves) are Triangles. Coming along nicely.

20160721_205906-1




Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 243 other followers